Should I File a Response to Divorce Papers in Utah?


If you find yourself served with a Petition for Divorce and Summons in Utah, you are considered the respondent spouse. This means that your spouse has taken the initiative to initiate divorce proceedings by filing a petition with the court. The petition contains factual information about your marriage and your spouse’s requests for “relief,” which include matters like the division of marital property and debts, spousal support, and court orders concerning any children of the marriage. It’s natural to have concerns or disagreements with the contents of the petition, but fret not, as you have the opportunity to respond and present your side of the story.

The Two Options: Stipulation and Answer


A stipulation is a written agreement where you agree to the terms mentioned in the petition for divorce and the divorce decree. You have the flexibility to opt for this option from the start of the process or at any point during it. If you and your spouse already have an agreement in place, choosing the stipulation route will allow you to skip several steps in the process, including being served with the petition and summons, filing an answer, paying the filing fee, and submitting financial disclosures.


In cases where you and your spouse have disagreements on the terms outlined in the petition, you can file an answer. This option enables you to express your agreement or disagreement with each aspect of the petition and preserve your rights. If there are additional claims you wish to make, which were not addressed in the divorce petition, you must file both an answer and a counterclaim.

See also  How to Co Parent on the Same Team

Timelines for Responding

When served with a divorce petition in Utah, you must file a response within 21 days of being personally served. However, if your spouse filed for divorce in Utah, and you reside in another state, you have 30 days to file your response.

To File or Not to File: Should I Submit an Answer?

Ideally, if you and your spouse can reach an agreement, submitting a stipulation can streamline the divorce process, making it less cumbersome for both parties. However, it’s understandable that agreements may not always be reached.

If there are disagreements or if you wish to file a counterclaim, it is essential to submit an answer to the petition, informing the court of your position. From the moment a divorce petition is filed, the court issues a Domestic Relations Injunction. This injunction prevents either party from making major changes in their lives as a response to the divorce. It includes provisions such as not harassing each other, refraining from altering insurance policies or property ownership, and restricting non-essential travel with minor children, among other things. The petitioner is bound by the injunction upon filing, while the respondent becomes bound once provided with a copy of the injunction. Even if you do not file an answer, you are still bound by the Domestic Relations Injunction.

The Consequences of Not Filing an Answer

If you choose not to file an answer, the court can proceed with the terms set forth in the petition. This means that you will be considered to be in “default.” While being in default is not inherently negative, it does imply that the court can make orders based on the petition’s terms without any further input from you. This situation may be unfavorable if you disagree with the original terms outlined in the petition.

See also  Child Custody in California: Everything You Need to Know

The Role of Postnuptial Agreements

Even if you have a postnuptial agreement in place, it may not be considered by the court if the petitioner fails to provide a copy during the divorce proceedings. In such cases, the court would issue default orders based on the petitioner’s requests, as they wouldn’t be aware of the postnuptial agreement. However, if the petitioner does present the postnuptial agreement to the court, it can serve as a guide for the division of assets, as long as the agreement is deemed valid.


In Utah, filing an answer to a Petition for Divorce and Summons is a relatively straightforward process. Remember that filing an answer does not commit you to agree with any final terms of your divorce. It merely provides you with the opportunity to present your side of the story and protect your rights. Whether you choose to opt for a stipulation or file an answer, the most crucial aspect is to ensure that your interests and concerns are heard during this challenging time.


  1. Can I choose the stipulation option if we haven’t agreed on everything yet? Yes, you can choose the stipulation option even if you haven’t agreed on all matters. It is a way to streamline the process, and you can still work on resolving the remaining disagreements.
  2. What is the Domestic Relations Injunction, and how does it affect me? The Domestic Relations Injunction is an automatic order issued by the court upon filing the divorce petition. It restricts certain actions during the divorce process, protecting both parties and ensuring that significant changes aren’t made without proper consideration.
  3. Can I file an answer without hiring an attorney? Yes, you can file an answer without an attorney’s help, especially if you have a basic understanding of the legal process. DIY memberships and online resources can guide you through the process.
  4. What happens if I don’t file a response within the given timeline? If you fail to respond within the specified timeframe, the court may proceed with default orders based on the petitioner’s requests. It’s crucial to adhere to the deadlines to protect your rights adequately.
  5. How long does the divorce process take in Utah? The divorce process timeline in Utah can vary depending on the complexity of the case and how quickly both parties reach agreements. It can take several months to a year or more to complete the process.
See also  Never Quit Your Job During Divorce and More Career Advice

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *